Mitt Romney is admitting he was "completely wrong" when he described 47 percent of Americans as "victims" mooching off of the government. The Republican presidential candidate had previously argued that his remarks were "not elegantly stated." The shift comes after Romney's strong debate performance on Wednesday night. The GOPer changed his tune when asked by Fox News what he would have said if the remarks, which surfaced 17 days ago, had come up during the face-off. Romney said that sometimes while campaigning, thoughts don't come out right, but in this case, "I said something just completely wrong."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 10 things you need to know today: August 28, 2014
- Why the West should accept ISIS as a sovereign nation
- What Ann Coulter and atheist Richard Dawkins have in common
- After Ferguson, we don't need another dialogue on race
- 8 ways you're probably overspending without even realizing it
Subscribe to the Week