Mitt Romney is admitting he was "completely wrong" when he described 47 percent of Americans as "victims" mooching off of the government. The Republican presidential candidate had previously argued that his remarks were "not elegantly stated." The shift comes after Romney's strong debate performance on Wednesday night. The GOPer changed his tune when asked by Fox News what he would have said if the remarks, which surfaced 17 days ago, had come up during the face-off. Romney said that sometimes while campaigning, thoughts don't come out right, but in this case, "I said something just completely wrong."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- Grammar quiz: Do you know the passive voice?
Subscribe to the Week