The United Nations Security Council condemned Syria's mortar attack on a Turkish town on Wednesday that killed five people, demanding that "such violations of international law stop immediately." Turkey, in retaliation, shelled targets inside Syria later that day and Thursday. Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan said his country has no desire to start a war with Syria.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Pope Francis' American problem
- 10 famous people born on December 25
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- 10 things you need to know today: December 20, 2014
- The week's best photojournalism
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
Subscribe to the Week