Attention American Airlines frequent flyers: Your coffee and soda spills are apparently what's causing seats on the airlines' planes to come loose mid-flight. On Friday, a spokeswoman for American said that spilled liquids have "gunked up" the seat locking mechanism on some of its 757s. In the past two weeks, seats on at least three American flights have come loose, causing two flights to be diverted, and dozens of flights to be canceled.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- Bill O'Reilly and Stephen Colbert are accidentally having a serious debate on ISIS
- Fall film guide: All the movies you should see in October
Subscribe to the Week