The Obama administration and the Democratic National Committee raised $181 million in September, falling just shy of the all-time monthly record of $193 million, which was set by Obama in September 2008, but easily eclipsing the August total of $114 million. The re-election campaign is on track to raise $1 billion for the 2012 election. Republican National Committee chairman Reince Priebus called the number "impressive," saying he wasn't sure if the GOP would be able to match it. Still, Priebus said, "We will have all the money we need to be competitive."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- Why America won't have enough money to battle ISIS
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- 11 facts yü should know about the umlaut
Subscribe to the Week