The Obama administration and the Democratic National Committee raised $181 million in September, falling just shy of the all-time monthly record of $193 million, which was set by Obama in September 2008, but easily eclipsing the August total of $114 million. The re-election campaign is on track to raise $1 billion for the 2012 election. Republican National Committee chairman Reince Priebus called the number "impressive," saying he wasn't sure if the GOP would be able to match it. Still, Priebus said, "We will have all the money we need to be competitive."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- What Keeping Up with the Kardashians can teach America about interracial marriage
- ISIS and the echoes of the West's religious terror
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- The real-life events that inspired Game of Thrones' Red Wedding
Subscribe to the Week