ormer Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky, who was convicted on 45 counts of child molestation in June, was sentenced to 30-60 years in prison on Tuesday. Given his age, the sentence effectively puts the disgraced 68-year-old behind bars for the rest of his life. In a taped jailhouse statement released Monday, Sandusky maintained his innocence and criticized prosecutors, the media, and Penn State. His lawyers say they plan to appeal.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Antonin Scalia was right to defend a drug dealer
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why we need a maximum wage
- 10 things you need to know today: April 23, 2014
- Why Mindy Kaling — not Lena Dunham — is the body positive icon of the moment
- Obama doesn't have a manhood problem — but conservatives certainly do
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
Subscribe to the Week