Former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky, who was convicted on 45 counts of child molestation in June, was sentenced to 30-60 years in prison on Tuesday. Given his age, the sentence effectively puts the disgraced 68-year-old behind bars for the rest of his life. In a taped jailhouse statement released Monday, Sandusky maintained his innocence and criticized prosecutors, the media, and Penn State. His lawyers say they plan to appeal.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why Texas' abortion rates aren't falling as quickly as everyone expected
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- Yes, Republicans can impeach President Obama
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
- What religious traditionalists can teach us about sex
- Twin Peaks: What the newly revealed 'missing pieces' change about the series
Subscribe to the Week