Lindsay Lohan stars in the lurid film noir The Canyons, and a campy yet compelling trailer may set the bar higher than many critics expected.
The trailer: After months of curiosity and speculation, the trailer for The Canyons, Lindsay Lohan's unconventional new Kickstarter-funded film noir, has finally arrived. (Watch it below.) The Canyons, which explores sexual obsession and ambition, co-stars porn star James Deen and is a collaboration by American Psycho novelist Bret Easton Ellis and Taxi Driver screenwriter Paul Schrader. "Where the sex is as cheap as the budget... and the only way out is death!" boasts the film's trailer, which features a deliberately low-budget grindhouse look. Will The Canyons' grimy new teaser intrigue enough filmgoers to make it the first big movie to emerge from Kickstarter, or does Lohan have another high-profile flop on her hands?
The reaction: This is "an unexpectedly compelling preview," says Jen Yamato at Movieline, with a "knowing edge" that makes The Canyons look sharper than the average lurid melodrama. No way, says Drew McWeeny at HitFix. From the corny grindhouse aesthetic to the stunt-casting of Lohan and Deen, The Canyons looks ridiculous. "Is this supposed to be uber-serious or more of a fun romp?" asks Natalie Zutter at Crushable. We simply don't know enough about The Canyons to determine whether the whole movie will have the campy tone of the trailer, or if the silliness was just for promotional purposes.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- How Ronald Reagan turned America into a nation of children
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- 8 things the world's most extraordinary survivors can teach you about resilience
- 8 secrets to steal from power networkers
- How to make classic pulled pork
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- 10 things you need to know today: August 1, 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week