Lindsay Lohan stars in the lurid film noir The Canyons, and a campy yet compelling trailer may set the bar higher than many critics expected.
The trailer: After months of curiosity and speculation, the trailer for The Canyons, Lindsay Lohan's unconventional new Kickstarter-funded film noir, has finally arrived. (Watch it below.) The Canyons, which explores sexual obsession and ambition, co-stars porn star James Deen and is a collaboration by American Psycho novelist Bret Easton Ellis and Taxi Driver screenwriter Paul Schrader. "Where the sex is as cheap as the budget... and the only way out is death!" boasts the film's trailer, which features a deliberately low-budget grindhouse look. Will The Canyons' grimy new teaser intrigue enough filmgoers to make it the first big movie to emerge from Kickstarter, or does Lohan have another high-profile flop on her hands?
The reaction: This is "an unexpectedly compelling preview," says Jen Yamato at Movieline, with a "knowing edge" that makes The Canyons look sharper than the average lurid melodrama. No way, says Drew McWeeny at HitFix. From the corny grindhouse aesthetic to the stunt-casting of Lohan and Deen, The Canyons looks ridiculous. "Is this supposed to be uber-serious or more of a fun romp?" asks Natalie Zutter at Crushable. We simply don't know enough about The Canyons to determine whether the whole movie will have the campy tone of the trailer, or if the silliness was just for promotional purposes.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 10 things you need to know today: October 21, 2014
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
Subscribe to the Week