A gunman opened fire and killed the Yemeni chief of security at the U.S. Embassy in Sanaa on Thursday. Officials said Qassem Aqlani was on his way to work when he was assassinated by a gunman on a motorcycle. The shooter fled the scene and has not been identified or apprehended. Aqlani was in his 50s and had been working for the U.S. Embassy for nearly two decades.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- The 7 best Halloween-themed editorial cartoons
- Feast your eyes on this beautiful linguistic family tree
Subscribe to the Week