he number of Americans filing claims for unemployment benefits decreased by 30,000 last week, the lowest level in four and a half years, according to the Labor Department. The "surprisingly large" drop may reflect "distortions due to seasonal adjustments that are likely to be smoothed out in coming weeks." Still, economists took the report as a positive sign that the jobs market is slowly rebounding.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- The new bride who had a horrifying allergic reaction to her husband's sperm
- The Daily Show's Aasif Mandvi dismantles another ObamaCare myth
Subscribe to the Week