The number of Americans filing claims for unemployment benefits decreased by 30,000 last week, the lowest level in four and a half years, according to the Labor Department. The "surprisingly large" drop may reflect "distortions due to seasonal adjustments that are likely to be smoothed out in coming weeks." Still, economists took the report as a positive sign that the jobs market is slowly rebounding.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The amazing resurrection of Mitt Romney
- 4 strategies for organizing your money, based on your personality
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- The essential techniques that every home cook should know
- Even critics of the euro didn't see this coming
Subscribe to the Week