The number of Americans filing claims for unemployment benefits decreased by 30,000 last week, the lowest level in four and a half years, according to the Labor Department. The "surprisingly large" drop may reflect "distortions due to seasonal adjustments that are likely to be smoothed out in coming weeks." Still, economists took the report as a positive sign that the jobs market is slowly rebounding.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- What if The Purge was real?
- 29 adorable slang terms for sex (from the last 600 years)
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why I choose not to be rich
- Israel's invasion of Gaza shows peace talks were a sham all along
Subscribe to the Week