he number of Americans filing claims for unemployment benefits decreased by 30,000 last week, the lowest level in four and a half years, according to the Labor Department. The "surprisingly large" drop may reflect "distortions due to seasonal adjustments that are likely to be smoothed out in coming weeks." Still, economists took the report as a positive sign that the jobs market is slowly rebounding.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- How Captain America won over China
Subscribe to the Week