At a campaign rally in Florida, President Obama mocked Mitt Romney's recent attempts to adopt a more moderate position on a range of issues. "He's trying to go through an extreme makeover," Obama said. "After running for more than a year in which he called himself severely conservative, Mitt Romney's trying to convince you that he was severely kidding." Since the first presidential debate, when Romney surprised the Obama campaign by taking more moderate stances on health care, tax reform, and financial regulation, the Obama campaign has been hounding the GOP candidate for flip-flopping. However, the strategy appears to be working for Romney, with polls showing the race tightening in battleground states.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 10 things you need to know today: September 23, 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
Subscribe to the Week