At a campaign rally in Florida, President Obama mocked Mitt Romney's recent attempts to adopt a more moderate position on a range of issues. "He's trying to go through an extreme makeover," Obama said. "After running for more than a year in which he called himself severely conservative, Mitt Romney's trying to convince you that he was severely kidding." Since the first presidential debate, when Romney surprised the Obama campaign by taking more moderate stances on health care, tax reform, and financial regulation, the Obama campaign has been hounding the GOP candidate for flip-flopping. However, the strategy appears to be working for Romney, with polls showing the race tightening in battleground states.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
Subscribe to the Week