At a campaign rally in Florida, President Obama mocked Mitt Romney's recent attempts to adopt a more moderate position on a range of issues. "He's trying to go through an extreme makeover," Obama said. "After running for more than a year in which he called himself severely conservative, Mitt Romney's trying to convince you that he was severely kidding." Since the first presidential debate, when Romney surprised the Obama campaign by taking more moderate stances on health care, tax reform, and financial regulation, the Obama campaign has been hounding the GOP candidate for flip-flopping. However, the strategy appears to be working for Romney, with polls showing the race tightening in battleground states.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Bob Odenkirk's 6 favorite books
- The stories behind 22 classic album covers
Subscribe to the Week