President Obama declined to zing Mitt Romney at their first debate, and Joe Biden appears to be compensating by using all the arrows in the Democratic quiver against Paul Ryan in tonight's debate. From the economy to foreign policy, Biden continuously challenged Ryan, and even called him out on his "malarkey." Right off the bat, Ryan criticized the Obama administration's muddled handling of a terror attack in Libya. Biden's response: ""With all due respect that's a bunch of malarkey. Not a single thing he said was true." It didn't get any better for Ryan from there. Here, some of Biden's most effective hits:
Not mathematically possible," Biden's quote.Picking up on Clinton's arithmetic line. #Debate2012— Lola Ogunnaike (@lolaogunnaike) October 12, 2012
Biden: "This is a bunch of stuff..." Translation: "This is a whole lot of bullshxt!"— ì œì´ë“œ(@AloelLee) October 12, 2012
Biden to Ryan: "Oh, now you're Jack Kennedy?"— The New York Times (@nytimes) October 12, 2012
"Their ideas are old, their ideas are bad." That's a pretty good line.— Jonathan Bernstein (@jbplainblog) October 12, 2012
Of course, plenty of viewers complained that Biden interrupted too often and may have turned off viewers by smirking at Ryan's responses.
Seems like debate prep for Biden involved them telling him to just interrupt Ryan as much as possible, like a guy in a bar. #msnbc2012— msnbc (@msnbc) October 12, 2012
Ryan to Biden: "You're under duress to make up for lost ground" tpm.ly/RARu4E— Talking Points Memo (@TPM) October 12, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
Subscribe to the Week