President Obama declined to zing Mitt Romney at their first debate, and Joe Biden appears to be compensating by using all the arrows in the Democratic quiver against Paul Ryan in tonight's debate. From the economy to foreign policy, Biden continuously challenged Ryan, and even called him out on his "malarkey." Right off the bat, Ryan criticized the Obama administration's muddled handling of a terror attack in Libya. Biden's response: ""With all due respect that's a bunch of malarkey. Not a single thing he said was true." It didn't get any better for Ryan from there. Here, some of Biden's most effective hits:
Not mathematically possible," Biden's quote.Picking up on Clinton's arithmetic line. #Debate2012— Lola Ogunnaike (@lolaogunnaike) October 12, 2012
Biden: "This is a bunch of stuff..." Translation: "This is a whole lot of bullshxt!"— ì œì´ë“œ(@AloelLee) October 12, 2012
Biden to Ryan: "Oh, now you're Jack Kennedy?"— The New York Times (@nytimes) October 12, 2012
"Their ideas are old, their ideas are bad." That's a pretty good line.— Jonathan Bernstein (@jbplainblog) October 12, 2012
Of course, plenty of viewers complained that Biden interrupted too often and may have turned off viewers by smirking at Ryan's responses.
Seems like debate prep for Biden involved them telling him to just interrupt Ryan as much as possible, like a guy in a bar. #msnbc2012— msnbc (@msnbc) October 12, 2012
Ryan to Biden: "You're under duress to make up for lost ground" tpm.ly/RARu4E— Talking Points Memo (@TPM) October 12, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- Mike Huckabee's head-scratching advice to Christian voters
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- How Scotland's independence movement lost the vote and still won everything
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
Subscribe to the Week