yrian rebels trying to oust President Bashar al-Assad have revved up their attacks, killing 106 soldiers in two days, a watchdog group said Friday. The violence comes as tension between Syria and Turkey mounts after a Syrian passenger plane was forced to land in Turkey on suspicion of carrying weapons. The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said the latest deaths are the highest total for the military in the 19-month civil war.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- 10 things you need to know today: March 7, 2014
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- The Daily Show explains Hamid Karzai's 'Afghan Hustle'
- The end of academic freedom?
Subscribe to the Week