Syrian rebels trying to oust President Bashar al-Assad have revved up their attacks, killing 106 soldiers in two days, a watchdog group said Friday. The violence comes as tension between Syria and Turkey mounts after a Syrian passenger plane was forced to land in Turkey on suspicion of carrying weapons. The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said the latest deaths are the highest total for the military in the 19-month civil war.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- What I learned from totally unplugging and shutting up for three days
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- Why America is duty bound to help Iraqi Christians
- 10 burning questions you've always wanted to ask about investing
- Immigration, charity, and conservatives' unholy assault on Glenn Beck
Subscribe to the Week