Syrian rebels trying to oust President Bashar al-Assad have revved up their attacks, killing 106 soldiers in two days, a watchdog group said Friday. The violence comes as tension between Syria and Turkey mounts after a Syrian passenger plane was forced to land in Turkey on suspicion of carrying weapons. The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said the latest deaths are the highest total for the military in the 19-month civil war.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- 8 ways you're probably overspending without even realizing it
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Even critics of the euro didn't see this coming
- Why the West should accept ISIS as a sovereign nation
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- 6 constitutional amendments that just missed the cut
- The essential techniques that every home cook should know
Subscribe to the Week