Syrian rebels trying to oust President Bashar al-Assad have revved up their attacks, killing 106 soldiers in two days, a watchdog group said Friday. The violence comes as tension between Syria and Turkey mounts after a Syrian passenger plane was forced to land in Turkey on suspicion of carrying weapons. The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said the latest deaths are the highest total for the military in the 19-month civil war.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 5 most important developments in climate change in 2014
- Why we can't educate racism away
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- China's leader is telling the People's Liberation Army to prepare for war
- Oil prices have nosedived — why aren't airfares doing the same?
- The best TV shows we watched in 2014
- Why the mighty ukulele deserves a little respect
When Americans banned Christmas
Subscribe to the Week