he defending World Series champion St. Louis Cardinals stormed back from a six-run deficit to beat the Washington Nationals 9-7 in a win-or-go-home Game 5 of the National League Division Series Friday night. No other baseball team in history has come back from more than four runs down to win "in this sort of ultimate pressure situation." Well, "we never quit," said the Cards' Yadier Molina. "That's our rule." The Cardinals now face the San Francisco Giants in the National League Championship Series. In the American League, the New York Yankees will face off against the Detroit Tigers in the next round.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
Subscribe to the Week