uring Game 1 of the American League Championship series, the New York Yankees lost to the Detroit Tigers, and also lost the captain of their team. Derek Jeter fractured his left ankle after attempting a diving stop on a grounder by Detroit Tigers shortstop Jhonny Peralta during the 12th inning of the game. Jeter will need at least three months to recover, so will be unable to play in the remainder of the Yankees' postseason.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Antonin Scalia was right to defend a drug dealer
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 10 things you need to know today: April 23, 2014
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why Mindy Kaling — not Lena Dunham — is the body positive icon of the moment
- Why we need a maximum wage
- Obama doesn't have a manhood problem — but conservatives certainly do
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
Subscribe to the Week