During Game 1 of the American League Championship series, the New York Yankees lost to the Detroit Tigers, and also lost the captain of their team. Derek Jeter fractured his left ankle after attempting a diving stop on a grounder by Detroit Tigers shortstop Jhonny Peralta during the 12th inning of the game. Jeter will need at least three months to recover, so will be unable to play in the remainder of the Yankees' postseason.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The constant struggle of running a family farm in 21st century America
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- How to stop misogynists from terrorizing the world of gamers
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
Subscribe to the Week