During Game 1 of the American League Championship series, the New York Yankees lost to the Detroit Tigers, and also lost the captain of their team. Derek Jeter fractured his left ankle after attempting a diving stop on a grounder by Detroit Tigers shortstop Jhonny Peralta during the 12th inning of the game. Jeter will need at least three months to recover, so will be unable to play in the remainder of the Yankees' postseason.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- China's leader is telling the People's Liberation Army to prepare for war
- The religious right isn't retreating — it's reforming
- How I lost all my money
- How to save money: 12 great personal finance tips
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: December 22, 2014
- A brief history of the Christmas present
Subscribe to the Week