ormer Pennsylvania Sen. Arlen Specter died in his home on Sunday at the age of 82. Specter had been diagnosed with Hodgkin's disease in 2005, and was treated again in 2008, and hospitalized once more in August. "Specter was long a voice of Republican moderation, but he handed Democrats a supermajority in the Senate by switching parties in 2009. He lost the Democratic primary the next year in an anti-incumbency movement that swept many veteran politicians from office." He was the longest-serving senator in Pennsylvania history, having first been elected in 1980.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Can Rand Paul avoid the Neville Chamberlain trap?
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- To build the Death Star, we'll need this space elevator
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
Subscribe to the Week