he Commerce Department on Monday reported that retail sales rose by a healthy 1.1 percent in September, fueling optimism that a bump in consumer spending is spurring economic growth. Consumer spending accounts for about two-thirds of U.S. gross domestic product, making the statistic a closely watched gauge of the country's economic health. The Commerce Department reported that sales of autos, gasoline, and building materials were particularly strong.
- The 10 worst-reviewed movies of 2013
- The secrets of happy families
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How did Love Actually become so controversial? A theory
- Watch The Daily Show mock the NSA and the gamers they're spying on
- The U.S. auto bailout is officially over. Here's what America lost and gained.
- 32 TV shows to watch in 2013 [Updated]
- 13 countries where gay marriage is legal [Updated]
- Here's how crazy-long German words are made
- Godzilla: Watch the surprisingly grim trailer for the blockbuster reboot
Subscribe to the Week