he teaser: Brian De Palma's Carrie, which came out in 1976, is a certified horror classic with a stellar 91 percent positive reviews on Rotten Tomatoes — a fact that has made many horror fans enormously skeptical of Kimberly Peirce's upcoming remake, which is slated for release next March. But moviegoers can finally judge the film for themselves: The teaser-trailer for 2013's Carrie, which stars Chloe Grace Moretz and Julianne Moore, has been released. (Watch it below.) "She wasn't some monster. She was just a girl," says the voiceover, as camera slowly zooms in on Moretz's Carrie, who's covered in blood.
The reaction: The first teaser is "simple, yet haunting," says Kevin P. Sullivan at MTV.com, and the film seems to "reorient itself closer to the source material and the journey of Carrie White" in Stephen King's original novel. With stories about bullying dominating the news, "the time is absolutely right" to remake Carrie, says Drew McWeeny at HitFix. And based on the chilling glimpse of her performance at the end of the teaser, Chloe Grace Moretz "may just top Sissy Spacek's acclaimed performance" as Carrie, says Jackie Willis at Entertainment Tonight.
Compare the new teaser to the original:
- Watch SNL delightfully mess with all your childhood Christmas favorites
- How to dramatically improve your memory
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- 32 TV shows to watch in 2013 [Updated]
- 7 health benefits of playing video games
- There is a better alternative to raising the minimum wage
- 5 books to read before your 30th birthday
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- China's massive pollution problem
Subscribe to the Week