The Commerce Department reported on Wednesday that housing starts in the U.S. surged by 15 percent in September to a four-year high, the latest evidence that a recovery is underway in the long-moribund housing market. Analysts say a full-fledged recovery could drive the broader economy, lifting home prices, encouraging consumer spending, and catalyzing activity in several important industries, including construction and manufacturing.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 9 Harvard dropouts who became fabulously successful
- How China sparked an Asian frenzy for killer submarines
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- The essential techniques that every home cook should know
Subscribe to the Week