he Commerce Department reported on Wednesday that housing starts in the U.S. surged by 15 percent in September to a four-year high, the latest evidence that a recovery is underway in the long-moribund housing market. Analysts say a full-fledged recovery could drive the broader economy, lifting home prices, encouraging consumer spending, and catalyzing activity in several important industries, including construction and manufacturing.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- The hidden reason for the student loan crisis
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Mad Men recap: 'A Day's Work'
- 7 ways to quickly become a master at anything
- Why Easter is so important to Christians
Subscribe to the Week