Relatives of former senator George McGovern say he's "no longer responsive" at a South Dakota hospice. His daughter, Ann McGovern, said he was "nearing the end," and appears peaceful. The 90-year-old McGovern, a liberal Democrat who lost the 1972 presidential to Richard Nixon in a landslide, had appeared at the South Dakota Symphony Orchestra's opening night performance just over a week ago, but was admitted to hospice care on Monday with a variety of ailments that had worsened recently due to his advanced age.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- Why you probably don't have Ebola — even if you shook hands with America's 'patient zero'
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Fall film guide: All the movies you should see in October
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- Bill O'Reilly and Stephen Colbert are accidentally having a serious debate on ISIS
- You're reheating pizza wrong
- 10 things you need to know today: October 1, 2014
Subscribe to the Week