Relatives of former senator George McGovern say he's "no longer responsive" at a South Dakota hospice. His daughter, Ann McGovern, said he was "nearing the end," and appears peaceful. The 90-year-old McGovern, a liberal Democrat who lost the 1972 presidential to Richard Nixon in a landslide, had appeared at the South Dakota Symphony Orchestra's opening night performance just over a week ago, but was admitted to hospice care on Monday with a variety of ailments that had worsened recently due to his advanced age.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Are there too many good shows on television?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- The big, gaping hole in the liberal policy arsenal
- Comic-Con 2014: Everything we learned about Avengers 2, Batman v. Superman, and more
- The NFL is terrified of the culture war
Subscribe to the Week