elatives of former senator George McGovern say he's "no longer responsive" at a South Dakota hospice. His daughter, Ann McGovern, said he was "nearing the end," and appears peaceful. The 90-year-old McGovern, a liberal Democrat who lost the 1972 presidential to Richard Nixon in a landslide, had appeared at the South Dakota Symphony Orchestra's opening night performance just over a week ago, but was admitted to hospice care on Monday with a variety of ailments that had worsened recently due to his advanced age.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- How to take the perfect profile picture for online dating, according to science
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- The one simple thing that can make you much more impressive
- The Daily Show's Aasif Mandvi dismantles another ObamaCare myth
Subscribe to the Week