Stock markets surged around the world early Thursday after fresh Chinese data boosted optimism over the state of the global economy. China's industrial output improved slightly in September, and the country's gross domestic product grew by 7.4 percent in the third quarter, which marked the slowest pace since early 2009 but still met expectations.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Christian conservatives have a terrifying new bogeyman: The Christian leftist
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- 10 innovative furniture designs that brilliantly save you space
- Eric Holder blew it as attorney general. His replacement will, too,
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- What the Romney boomlet says about the establishment GOP's feeble 2016 field
Subscribe to the Week