Stock markets surged around the world early Thursday after fresh Chinese data boosted optimism over the state of the global economy. China's industrial output improved slightly in September, and the country's gross domestic product grew by 7.4 percent in the third quarter, which marked the slowest pace since early 2009 but still met expectations.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- Why the West should accept ISIS as a sovereign nation
- Even critics of the euro didn't see this coming
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- What Ann Coulter and atheist Richard Dawkins have in common
- 6 constitutional amendments that just missed the cut
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
Subscribe to the Week