Stock markets surged around the world early Thursday after fresh Chinese data boosted optimism over the state of the global economy. China's industrial output improved slightly in September, and the country's gross domestic product grew by 7.4 percent in the third quarter, which marked the slowest pace since early 2009 but still met expectations.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- China's leader is telling the People's Liberation Army to prepare for war
- The religious right isn't retreating — it's reforming
- How I lost all my money
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- 10 things you need to know today: December 21, 2014
Subscribe to the Week