The controversy: In an interview with North Carolina radio host Bill Lumaye, Tagg Romney, the eldest son of GOP nominee Mitt Romney, said watching President Obama call his father a "liar" at the second debate brought out his pugilistic impulses. "You want to rush down to the stage and take a swing at him," Tagg said with a laugh. "But you know you can't do that because, well, first because there's a lot of Secret Service between you and him, but also because that's the nature of the process." Tagg, who reportedly took on a leading role in his father's campaign after several embarrassing missteps over the summer, went on to say that his dad is usually "terrified" before he takes the debate stage. "Terrified is too strong a word," he quickly added, "but he's like anybody. He gets butterflies a little bit."
The reaction: "That is no way to talk to the president of the United States," says Mike Nellis at Daily Kos. "Disgusting, but sadly what I would expect from someone that was raised by Bully Romney." But keep in mind, cautions Emily Friedman at ABC News, that the Romney campaign insists that Tagg's "remarks were in jest, adding that he was joking about how frustrating the campaign process can be for his family." Well, Tagg was right about one thing, says Adam Martin at New York: "We'd be pretty terrified if we had to argue with the president on live television. Even more if there was a chance of fisticuffs."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- Why you probably don't have Ebola — even if you shook hands with America's 'patient zero'
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- Fall film guide: All the movies you should see in October
- The dumb war in Syria will haunt Democrats' 2014 prospects
- Bill O'Reilly and Stephen Colbert are accidentally having a serious debate on ISIS
Subscribe to the Week