The Dow Jones Industrial Average on Friday had its worst day in four months, following a string of disappointing earnings reports from Microsoft, General Electric, and McDonald's. The Dow fell 205 points, or 1.5 percent, to close at 13,344, while the larger S&P 500 index dipped 24 points, or 1.7 percent, to end at 1,433.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 10 things you need to know today: September 22, 2014
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
- 7 common estate-planning mistakes
Subscribe to the Week