ope Benedict XVI canonized seven new saints to the Roman Catholic Church on Sunday, including St. Catherine Tekakwitha, the first Native American to be canonized by the church. In the 17th century, she was known as "Lily of the Mohawks," a Catholic convert "scarred by smallpox and ostracized by her tribe but unshaken in her faith."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- The one simple thing that can make you much more impressive
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- The Daily Show's Aasif Mandvi dismantles another ObamaCare myth
- How to take the perfect profile picture for online dating, according to science
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
Subscribe to the Week