ope Benedict XVI canonized seven new saints to the Roman Catholic Church on Sunday, including St. Catherine Tekakwitha, the first Native American to be canonized by the church. In the 17th century, she was known as "Lily of the Mohawks," a Catholic convert "scarred by smallpox and ostracized by her tribe but unshaken in her faith."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Mad Men recap: 'A Day's Work'
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Aereo at the Supreme Court: No matter what, broadcasters lose
- 10 things you need to know today: April 21, 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Wounded in Boston, two brothers endure
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- The hidden reason for the student loan crisis
Subscribe to the Week