yrian President Bashar al-Assad met with U.N. special envoy for peace Lakhdar Brahimi on Sunday. Brahimi has urged both sides in the Syrian crisis that has gone on for 19 months and left thousands dead to support a ceasefire during the four-day Muslim holiday of Eid al-Adha that begins Oct. 26. But while the two were in their meeting, the violence continued with a car bomb exploding near a police station in Bab Touma, the Christian quarter of Damascus' Old City, killing at least 10 people and wounding others.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
Subscribe to the Week