yrian President Bashar al-Assad met with U.N. special envoy for peace Lakhdar Brahimi on Sunday. Brahimi has urged both sides in the Syrian crisis that has gone on for 19 months and left thousands dead to support a ceasefire during the four-day Muslim holiday of Eid al-Adha that begins Oct. 26. But while the two were in their meeting, the violence continued with a car bomb exploding near a police station in Bab Touma, the Christian quarter of Damascus' Old City, killing at least 10 people and wounding others.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Attack of the invasive species
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
Subscribe to the Week