ordan's government says it has arrested 11 men linked to al Qaeda's Iraq affiliate who were plotting a major terrorist attack that was to include near-simultaneous strikes similar to the Mumbai attacks of 2008. The government says the alleged plotters, all Jordanian nationals, had amassed a huge arsenal of explosives and weapons from the battlefield in neighboring Syria, and intended to divert security forces with attacks on shopping centers and cafes, then launch a wave of attacks against government buildings and embassies, including America's.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- 10 things you need to know today: March 7, 2014
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- The Daily Show explains Hamid Karzai's 'Afghan Hustle'
- Russia's Ukraine invasion is a moral crisis
Subscribe to the Week