“Sometimes when they say you’re ahead of your time, it’s just a polite way of saying you have a real bad sense of timing.”
George McGovern, quoted in The Washington Post
“The mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be kindled.”
Plutarch, quoted in the Fort Lauderdale South Florida Times
“My rule is, if it flies, floats, or fornicates, rent it. It’s cheaper in the long run.”
Felix Dennis, owner of The Week, quoted in The New York Times
“Start every day with a smile and get it over with.”
W.C. Fields, quoted in The Spectator (U.K.)
“No pessimist ever discovered the secret of the stars or sailed to an uncharted land.”
Helen Keller, quoted in the Monterey County, Calif., Herald
“Living at risk is jumping off the cliff and building your wings on the way down.”
Ray Bradbury, quoted in BleacherReport.com
“Nature has given us one tongue, but two ears, that we may hear from others twice as much as we speak.”
Epictetus, quoted in The Boston Globe
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- 4 life hacks from ancient philosophers that will make you happier
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Can Paul Ryan's poverty blitz survive contact with reality?
- The Daily Show explains Hamid Karzai's 'Afghan Hustle'
Subscribe to the Week