Welcome to The Week's "What Next?" contest, an invitation to test your powers of imagination with challenges inspired by current events.
Last week's question: Now that the debates are over, we asked you what one sentence would have served either candidate well, no matter what question was asked.
THE WINNER: That's an excellent question. Let me tell you why I'm not going to answer it.
Gayle Morrow, Middlebury Center, PA
SECOND PLACE: I feel strongly both ways.
Bob Bouws, Grand Rapids, MI
THIRD PLACE: Every human entertains a fantasy. It's always been mine to live in Cleveland, Ohio.
John Peter Walsh, Mercer Island, WA .
I'll have a more nuanced reply on this week's Saturday Night Live.
Kevin Peppard, Oak Park, IL
We need nonpartisan solutions, but I'm against that.
Romella J. ElKharzazi, Washington, DC
That is a question best asked of my opponent.
Mike Revzin, Atlanta, GA
Just last week I talked with a single mom in Lima, Ohio, who had tears in her eyes as she told me…
Anne Marie Dominguez, Plymouth, MA
I don't think I answered your question; I will this time.
Bob Leek, Portland, OR
Let me first say that in establishing all our priorities, we must ensure the future prosperity of our great middle class.
Kenneth Updegrove, Cedaredge, CO
That's a great question, but two minutes isn't sufficient to answer it, so let me speak to a different point.
Thom Thacker, Irvington, NY
Don't laugh — he's not joking.
Brad Christianson, Naples, FL
If I'm lying, may God strike me dead.
Jeffrey May, Lakeville, CT
Go ahead, my time is up.
Meredith Swallow, Winooski, VT
If elected I will move the White House to Ohio.
Richard Heater, Keller, TX
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- How Israel's hawks intimidated and silenced the last remnants of the anti-war left
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- Why China thinks it could defeat the U.S. in battle
- Why your employer should clean your house and do your laundry
- What you need to know before you support the police in Ferguson
- The big policy question libertarians can't answer
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- How the West produces jihadi tourists
Subscribe to the Week