n an email to team executives, NBA Commissioner David Stern announced he was stepping down as head of the organization on Feb. 1, 2014. Taking his place will be Deputy Commissioner Adam Silver, who was handpicked to replace Stern by the NBA's Board of Governors. "Adam is a world-class business executive who has influenced so many areas of our business during his 20-year tenure with the league," Stern wrote in the email. "I know that the organization will be in very good hands when Adam becomes Commissioner."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 10 things you need to know today: March 7, 2014
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- The end of academic freedom?
- 4 life hacks from ancient philosophers that will make you happier
Subscribe to the Week