In an email to team executives, NBA Commissioner David Stern announced he was stepping down as head of the organization on Feb. 1, 2014. Taking his place will be Deputy Commissioner Adam Silver, who was handpicked to replace Stern by the NBA's Board of Governors. "Adam is a world-class business executive who has influenced so many areas of our business during his 20-year tenure with the league," Stern wrote in the email. "I know that the organization will be in very good hands when Adam becomes Commissioner."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- Hey, grammar nerds! Stop freaking out about 'alot.'
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- The elusive 'It factor' in presidential politics
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- The next pandemic
Subscribe to the Week