Amazon posted a larger loss than analysts expected, despite impressive sales, in its third-quarter earnings report released late Thursday. The company saw a net loss of $274 million on sales of $13.81 billion, falling just short of Wall Street estimates. Amazon also posted a loss of $169 million related to the company's stake in LivingSocial, a Groupon competitor that Amazon originally invested $175 million in. Following the news, the company's share prices took a slight tumble, down 6.28 percent in after-hours trading.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 10 things you need to know today: October 25, 2014
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why the government should pay every American child an allowance
Subscribe to the Week