1. Taylor Swift and Conor Kennedy break up
Conor Kennedy may hail from Camelot, but Taylor Swift isn't his princess: After a few months of high-profile dating, the Swift-Kennedy union has reportedly come to an end. Though Us Weekly broke the story today, Swift and Kennedy actually "quietly parted ways a while ago," says a friend. But take heart, Taylor fans: Breakups are to the singer as spinach is to Popeye, and this split from Kennedy will probably fuel at least another couple "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together"s.
2. Courtney Love allegedly preparing Nirvana musical
Courtney Love and Sam Lufti are preparing "a possible motion picture or Broadway musical based on the Nirvana catalogue," reports the New York Daily News. "It's been her dream to get her side of the story out," says a source, failing to add that a Nirvana musical is also the nightmare of thousands of fans. Smells like… well, nevermind.
3. Justin Bieber breaks YouTube record with 3 billion views
The severe Bieber Fever outbreak that has overtaken Earth shows no sign of abating: The 18-year-old Canadian pop idol logged his three billionth YouTube view today, reports Zap2It. Bieber got a recent boost from "Beauty and a Beat," a collaboration with Nicki Minaj that has amassed morem than 44 million views in just a week. Last year, Bieber became the first person to reach 2 billion views. Whether he can reach 4 billion presumably depends on how many new songs he can release before his fan base turns 13.
4. Katy Perry dresses as ballot for Obama rally
On Wednesday night, Katy Perry generously cleared up any confusion about who she was voting for when she showed up at an Obama campaign concert in Nevada wearing a custom-made dress designed to resemble a ballot with the Barack Obama/Joe Biden box checked. "You know I got my poll outfit sorted," Perry said to the screaming crowd, says the Daily News. Despite Perry's best efforts, at press time, dresses still don't count as eligible ballots in Nevada.
5. Adele's Skyfall theme made Daniel Craig cry
"Skyfall," the soulful theme song to the upcoming 007 film of the same name, which was written and performed by soulful British crooner (and alleged new mother) Adele, left star Daniel Craig feeling both shaken and stirred. "I cried," admitted Craig to Yahoo! Movies. "From the opening bars I knew immediately, then the voice kicked in and it was exactly what I'd wanted from the beginning." For the sake of his own emotional stability, let's hope Craig never hears "Someone Like You."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
Subscribe to the Week