Apple on Thursday reported a net profit of $8.22 billion for the fourth quarter of the fiscal year, a 24 percent bump from the previous year. However, the stellar numbers fell short of what investors had expected, and iPad sales of 14 million also disappointed. Apple's supporters often complain that it's nearly impossible for the company to meet the stock market's lofty expectations.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- Hey, grammar nerds! Stop freaking out about 'alot.'
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The elusive 'It factor' in presidential politics
Subscribe to the Week