Apple on Thursday reported a net profit of $8.22 billion for the fourth quarter of the fiscal year, a 24 percent bump from the previous year. However, the stellar numbers fell short of what investors had expected, and iPad sales of 14 million also disappointed. Apple's supporters often complain that it's nearly impossible for the company to meet the stock market's lofty expectations.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
Subscribe to the Week