Apple on Thursday reported a net profit of $8.22 billion for the fourth quarter of the fiscal year, a 24 percent bump from the previous year. However, the stellar numbers fell short of what investors had expected, and iPad sales of 14 million also disappointed. Apple's supporters often complain that it's nearly impossible for the company to meet the stock market's lofty expectations.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- China's leader is telling the People's Liberation Army to prepare for war
- How to save money: 12 great personal finance tips
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How I lost all my money
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- The best books we read in 2014
- The religious right isn't retreating — it's reforming
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
Subscribe to the Week