Apple on Thursday reported a net profit of $8.22 billion for the fourth quarter of the fiscal year, a 24 percent bump from the previous year. However, the stellar numbers fell short of what investors had expected, and iPad sales of 14 million also disappointed. Apple's supporters often complain that it's nearly impossible for the company to meet the stock market's lofty expectations.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- 7 common estate-planning mistakes
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
Subscribe to the Week