Apple on Thursday reported a net profit of $8.22 billion for the fourth quarter of the fiscal year, a 24 percent bump from the previous year. However, the stellar numbers fell short of what investors had expected, and iPad sales of 14 million also disappointed. Apple's supporters often complain that it's nearly impossible for the company to meet the stock market's lofty expectations.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- 10 things you need to know today: July 26, 2014
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- Grammar quiz: Do you know the passive voice?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
Subscribe to the Week