1. Cat bounce
Crude feline cutouts test the limits of gravity in this strangely addictive website.
3. Breaking Bad meets Taylor Swift
Human diary entry Taylor Swift's infectious earworm "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" meets Breaking Bad's meth-slinging friends in this brilliant fan parody. (Via Slate)
4. Barack Obama gets photo bombed
Team Obama tweeted this picture from a campaign stop with the caption "Photo of the day." The kids in the back, apparently, had more pressing issues to attend to than a visit from the commander-in-chief. (via Twitter)
5. Tom Hanks' spoken-word ode to Full House
In a special appearance on Jimmy Fallon Live, Tom Hanks performed a jazzy, spoken-word tribute to the legendary '80s sitcom while wearing an all black ensemble. No word if he's available for coffee shop gigs.
6. The return of Josh Romney
Mitt Romney's son returned this week, flashing the world his now-infamous grin during the third and final presidential debate. (Via Gawker)
7. Flashback: Twitter's debut
A recently resurfaced news segment from 2007 investigates a new "cyber-drug" called Twitter. The reporter describes the service as an "addictive concoction of blogs, Google Maps, personal websites, and text messaging." (Via Dog and Pony Show)
8. Denny's Hobbit-themed menu
The PR machine at Denny's is capitalizing on the impending release of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey with a new menu that taps into Tolkien's Middle Earth. Diners will be able to build their own Hobbit Slam® breakfast with delectables like Shire Sausage (breakfast sausage) and Pumpkin Patch Pancakes (pancakes with pumpkin in it). (Via io9)
9. Ai Weiwei covers "Gangnam style"
Not to be outdone by every human on Earth, Chinese artist and dissident Ai Weiwei takes a spirited stab at "Gangnam Style" to protest Chinese censorship laws. (Via the New York Times)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- The week's best photojournalism
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
Subscribe to the Week