Iowa's largest newspaper, the Des Moines Register, endorsed Mitt Romney for president on Saturday, the first time the paper has endorsed a Republican candidate in 40 years. "Voters should give Mitt Romney a chance to correct the nation’s fiscal course and to implode the partisan gridlock that has shackled Washington and the rest of America," the paper said. The endorsement could give Romney an advantage in winning the state's six electoral votes. Recent polling has shown a tight race in the state, with Obama holding a slight edge in several recent polls.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Yes, Republicans can impeach President Obama
- What religious traditionalists can teach us about sex
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why Texas' abortion rates aren't falling as quickly as everyone expected
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
Subscribe to the Week