owa's largest newspaper, the Des Moines Register, endorsed Mitt Romney for president on Saturday, the first time the paper has endorsed a Republican candidate in 40 years. "Voters should give Mitt Romney a chance to correct the nation’s fiscal course and to implode the partisan gridlock that has shackled Washington and the rest of America," the paper said. The endorsement could give Romney an advantage in winning the state's six electoral votes. Recent polling has shown a tight race in the state, with Obama holding a slight edge in several recent polls.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
Subscribe to the Week