Iowa's largest newspaper, the Des Moines Register, endorsed Mitt Romney for president on Saturday, the first time the paper has endorsed a Republican candidate in 40 years. "Voters should give Mitt Romney a chance to correct the nation’s fiscal course and to implode the partisan gridlock that has shackled Washington and the rest of America," the paper said. The endorsement could give Romney an advantage in winning the state's six electoral votes. Recent polling has shown a tight race in the state, with Obama holding a slight edge in several recent polls.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Dick Cheney's America is an ugly place
- How to make the ultimate grilled cheese
- The Hobbit: A disappointing set of movies, but a worthy set of prequels
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The liberation of Barack Obama
- Why TheWeek.com is closing the comments section
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
Subscribe to the Week