eventeen people abandoned a 180-foot replica of the HMS Bounty early Monday after it became stranded 90 miles off the North Carolina coast in 18-foot seas whipped up by Hurricane Sandy. "The 17 person crew donned cold water survival suits and life jackets before launching in two 25-man lifeboats with canopies," the Coast Guard said. The Coast Guard sent out an aircraft to search for the crew after receiving a distress call, saying the three-mast vessel, which has appeared in several movies, was adrift and taking on water.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Mad Men recap: 'A Day's Work'
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: April 21, 2014
- Aereo at the Supreme Court: No matter what, broadcasters lose
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- The case for killing law school
- The hidden reason for the student loan crisis
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Wounded in Boston, two brothers endure
Subscribe to the Week