urricane Sandy made landfall near Atlantic City, New Jersey, at around 6:15 pm EST, and proceeded inland with howling, 90-mile-per-hour winds. The hurricane has already knocked out power for 1.2 million households in 10 states, and residents on the East Coast braced for a long night of more power outages and felled trees. New Jersey Governor Chris Christie said emergency workers would no longer be able to reach those who refused to evacuate vulnerable zones. "For those people who ignored my warnings, this is what you have to deal with now," he said.
- Watch The Daily Show use Pope Francis to hammer Fox Business pundits
- The logic behind the world's 4 weirdest strategic reserves
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- What to expect when you're expecting (100 years ago)
- Is it possible to live forever?
- 5 books to read before your 30th birthday
- Remembering Nelson Mandela: A tribute in photos and prose
- Remembering Nelson Mandela: The world's front pages
- 6 photos that Facebook controversially banned
- 32 TV shows to watch in 2013 [Updated]
Subscribe to the Week