urricane Sandy made landfall near Atlantic City, New Jersey, at around 6:15 pm EST, and proceeded inland with howling, 90-mile-per-hour winds. The hurricane has already knocked out power for 1.2 million households in 10 states, and residents on the East Coast braced for a long night of more power outages and felled trees. New Jersey Governor Chris Christie said emergency workers would no longer be able to reach those who refused to evacuate vulnerable zones. "For those people who ignored my warnings, this is what you have to deal with now," he said.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The Daily Show's Aasif Mandvi dismantles another ObamaCare myth
- The new bride who had a horrifying allergic reaction to her husband's sperm
Subscribe to the Week