n a rare shakeup, Apple reportedly fired two senior executives late Monday: Mobile software chief Scott Forstall and John Browett, Apple's recently hired head of retail operations. According to unidentified sources, simmering tensions between Apple veteran Forstall and other executives had boiled over without the mediation of late Apple founder and CEO Steve Jobs. The final straw was reportedly Forstall's refusal to sign a public apology for glitches in Apple's new Maps program for iPhones and iPads; he argued the problems were exaggerated. CEO Tim Cook signed the letter in his place. Leadership of the iOS software division will be split among existing executives, including design guru Jonathan Ive.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Attack of the invasive species
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- How Captain America won over China
- The week's best photojournalism
- How the elderly are treated around the world
Subscribe to the Week