yrian rebels have assassinated an air force commander, Gen. Abdullah Mahmud al-Khalidi, in Damascus, according to Syria's state television. The news came as opposition activists said government forces had stepped up a bombing campaign that included the first warplane attacks on targets inside the Syrian capital since the uprising began 20 months ago. The escalation occurred just a day after the expiration of a failed four-day ceasefire, over the Eid al-Adha Muslim holiday, brokered by Lakhdar Brahimi, the peace envoy of the United Nations and the Arab League.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- The hidden reason for the student loan crisis
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Wounded in Boston, two brothers endure
- 7 ways to quickly become a master at anything
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Mad Men recap: 'A Day's Work'
Subscribe to the Week