As a weakened Hurricane Sandy makes its way north, East Coast residents like Brian Jakeski of Brick, N.J., are beginning to assess the devastation in their neighborhoods, and it's not pretty. The monster storm left an estimated $20 billion worth of damage in its wake, at least 8.5 million homes and businesses without power, and at least 50 people in the U.S. dead. Here, some of the more shocking pictures of the storm's wrath.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- The elusive 'It factor' in presidential politics
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
Subscribe to the Week