A gunman shot four people in Los Angeles early Thursday, outside a Halloween party on the University of Southern California campus. One of the four victims, the apparent target of the attack, is in critical condition; the other three had non-life-threatening injuries. USC said a suspect is in custody, but is still urging people on campus to stay home and keep their doors closed. Police believe the gunman isn't a USC student.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
- How foreign aid screwed up Liberia's ability to fight Ebola
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- This week I learned the surprisingly dark origins of the Nobel Prize, and more
Subscribe to the Week