A gunman shot four people in Los Angeles early Thursday, outside a Halloween party on the University of Southern California campus. One of the four victims, the apparent target of the attack, is in critical condition; the other three had non-life-threatening injuries. USC said a suspect is in custody, but is still urging people on campus to stay home and keep their doors closed. Police believe the gunman isn't a USC student.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- How Israel's hawks intimidated and silenced the last remnants of the anti-war left
- This 1,600-year-old Viking war game is still awesome
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- 10 things you need to know today: August 21, 2014
- The fascinating political evolution of Paul Ryan
- Is the Christian music industry liberalizing on gay marriage?
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
- What you need to know before you support the police in Ferguson
Subscribe to the Week