A gunman shot four people in Los Angeles early Thursday, outside a Halloween party on the University of Southern California campus. One of the four victims, the apparent target of the attack, is in critical condition; the other three had non-life-threatening injuries. USC said a suspect is in custody, but is still urging people on campus to stay home and keep their doors closed. Police believe the gunman isn't a USC student.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Pope Francis' American problem
- Why TheWeek.com is closing the comments section
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
Subscribe to the Week