Police detained two suspects after a shooting during a Halloween-night party on the campus of the University of Southern California. One person, apparently the gunman's target, was critically injured, and three bystanders were taken to hospitals with non-life-threatening wounds. The shooting occurred just before midnight at an outdoor gathering of about 100 people. University officials immediately put the campus on lock-down, and announced that the threat had passed two hours later.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- 6 tiny scientific mistakes that created huge disasters
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- What could happen if the Supreme Court rules against ObamaCare
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week