Police detained two suspects after a shooting during a Halloween-night party on the campus of the University of Southern California. One person, apparently the gunman's target, was critically injured, and three bystanders were taken to hospitals with non-life-threatening wounds. The shooting occurred just before midnight at an outdoor gathering of about 100 people. University officials immediately put the campus on lock-down, and announced that the threat had passed two hours later.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why the West should accept ISIS as a sovereign nation
- 9 Harvard dropouts who became fabulously successful
- Why baseball is America's most dangerous spectator sport
Subscribe to the Week