As rescuers search houses all across the Northeast, the death toll from superstorm Sandy continues to rise, with 82 now counted among the dead in North America. Officials warn that the number could continue to climb. In the New York City borough of Staten Island, 15 bodies have been recovered. In all, 34 people have died in the city. In hard-hit New Jersey, 12 people have died. As people begin the recovery process, lines began forming at gas stations across the East Coast, prompting fuel shortages in many areas. About 4.7 million homes and businesses remain without power across the region.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What could happen if the Supreme Court rules against ObamaCare
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- These 5 things will definitely happen after Obama moves on immigration
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Meet the 11 condoms of the future selected by Bill Gates
- Epigenetics: How our experiences affect our offspring
- How to be charismatic, according to science
Subscribe to the Week