As rescuers search houses all across the Northeast, the death toll from superstorm Sandy continues to rise, with 82 now counted among the dead in North America. Officials warn that the number could continue to climb. In the New York City borough of Staten Island, 15 bodies have been recovered. In all, 34 people have died in the city. In hard-hit New Jersey, 12 people have died. As people begin the recovery process, lines began forming at gas stations across the East Coast, prompting fuel shortages in many areas. About 4.7 million homes and businesses remain without power across the region.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 7 of the scariest spiders in existence
- Why isn't 'Arkansas' pronounced like 'Kansas'?
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
- This 1,600-year-old Viking war game is still awesome
- How Israel's hawks intimidated and silenced the last remnants of the anti-war left
- Internet piracy isn't killing Hollywood
- Incheon: the next white elephant city
Subscribe to the Week