s rescuers search houses all across the Northeast, the death toll from superstorm Sandy continues to rise, with 82 now counted among the dead in North America. Officials warn that the number could continue to climb. In the New York City borough of Staten Island, 15 bodies have been recovered. In all, 34 people have died in the city. In hard-hit New Jersey, 12 people have died. As people begin the recovery process, lines began forming at gas stations across the East Coast, prompting fuel shortages in many areas. About 4.7 million homes and businesses remain without power across the region.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
- The case for killing law school
- Aereo at the Supreme Court: No matter what, broadcasters lose
- Mad Men recap: 'A Day's Work'
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Putin's risky bet in eastern Ukraine
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- The Democrats have a mega-donor problem
- 10 things you need to know today: April 21, 2014
Subscribe to the Week