s rescuers search houses all across the Northeast, the death toll from superstorm Sandy continues to rise, with 82 now counted among the dead in North America. Officials warn that the number could continue to climb. In the New York City borough of Staten Island, 15 bodies have been recovered. In all, 34 people have died in the city. In hard-hit New Jersey, 12 people have died. As people begin the recovery process, lines began forming at gas stations across the East Coast, prompting fuel shortages in many areas. About 4.7 million homes and businesses remain without power across the region.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- The GOP must try to win over African-Americans
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What would a U.S.-China war look like?
Subscribe to the Week