Ahead of Friday's unemployment report, the Dow Jones Industrial Average on Thursday climbed 139 points, or 1 percent, to end at 13,232.62, its largest one-day rally in weeks. Stocks were buoyed by a string of positive economic reports showing increased hiring in the private sector, growth in the manufacturing industry, and rising consumer confidence.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Ban PowerPoint!
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- It's time to kill school picture day
Subscribe to the Week