Ahead of Friday's unemployment report, the Dow Jones Industrial Average on Thursday climbed 139 points, or 1 percent, to end at 13,232.62, its largest one-day rally in weeks. Stocks were buoyed by a string of positive economic reports showing increased hiring in the private sector, growth in the manufacturing industry, and rising consumer confidence.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What is driving the increasingly weird behavior of the polar jet stream?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Should you hope to die at 75? Absolutely not.
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Why America should team up with Bashar al-Assad's regime
- Stop hating on cyclists
Subscribe to the Week