Kremlin officials on Thursday denied several reports that President Vladimir Putin is suffering from health problems. The Russian strongman has raised eyebrows by canceling planned trips to Turkey, Bulgaria, and India, and by working from home. A spokesman claimed that Putin was refraining from commuting in order to prevent his entourage from snarling traffic. Outside observers say Putin may be suffering from severe back aches, possibly caused by a widely publicized stunt in which he flew a hang glider to guide a flock of cranes on their first migration.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- You should be furious about Hollywood's gutless retreat on The Interview
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- Capitalism isn't a cure-all for Cuba
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
Subscribe to the Week