Kremlin officials on Thursday denied several reports that President Vladimir Putin is suffering from health problems. The Russian strongman has raised eyebrows by canceling planned trips to Turkey, Bulgaria, and India, and by working from home. A spokesman claimed that Putin was refraining from commuting in order to prevent his entourage from snarling traffic. Outside observers say Putin may be suffering from severe back aches, possibly caused by a widely publicized stunt in which he flew a hang glider to guide a flock of cranes on their first migration.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: October 30, 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- For Democrats, the right lesson from 2014 is to be more liberal
- How to live a long life, according to science
- Sorry, we will not all be having sex with robots in the future
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How the brides of ISIS are attracting Western women
Subscribe to the Week