he Labor Department reported on Friday that the economy added a solid 171,000 jobs in October, beating most economists' forecasts. The unemployment rate, however, ticked up to 7.9 percent, as more people entered the labor force looking for work. The jobs report is the last before Election Day, and could provide a boost to President Obama as he seeks to convince voters that the economy is on the right track.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Why states should stop limiting the alcohol content in your beer
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- 10 things you need to know today: March 8, 2014
Subscribe to the Week