The Labor Department reported on Friday that the economy added a solid 171,000 jobs in October, beating most economists' forecasts. The unemployment rate, however, ticked up to 7.9 percent, as more people entered the labor force looking for work. The jobs report is the last before Election Day, and could provide a boost to President Obama as he seeks to convince voters that the economy is on the right track.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
- 6 things the most productive people do every day
- How the battle for religious freedom became a nonsensical free-for-all
- How to buy an engagement ring — a man's guide
Subscribe to the Week