The Labor Department reported on Friday that the economy added a solid 171,000 jobs in October, beating most economists' forecasts. The unemployment rate, however, ticked up to 7.9 percent, as more people entered the labor force looking for work. The jobs report is the last before Election Day, and could provide a boost to President Obama as he seeks to convince voters that the economy is on the right track.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Bob Odenkirk's 6 favorite books
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
Subscribe to the Week