The Labor Department reported on Friday that the economy added a solid 171,000 jobs in October, beating most economists' forecasts. The unemployment rate, however, ticked up to 7.9 percent, as more people entered the labor force looking for work. The jobs report is the last before Election Day, and could provide a boost to President Obama as he seeks to convince voters that the economy is on the right track.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 10 things you need to know today: July 26, 2014
- The week's best photojournalism
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Your weekly streaming recommendation: Black Death
Subscribe to the Week