People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals wants a sign erected to honor hundreds of fish killed in a traffic accident. "Although such signs are usually reserved for human fatalities," PETA's Dina Kourda wrote officials in Irvine, Calif., "I hope you'll make an exception because of the enormous suffering involved in this case." The live saltwater bass were headed to market when their truck collided with two other vehicles.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- Keira Knightley on Laggies, relationships, and surviving your 20s
- This week I learned the surprisingly dark origins of the Nobel Prize, and more
- How did Rick Perry escape blame for the Texas Ebola outbreak?
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Gamergate might be gaming sexism's Waterloo
- 10 things you need to know today: October 24, 2014
Subscribe to the Week