ue to ongoing labor disputes, the National Hockey League has canceled its 2013 Winter Classic at Michigan Stadium. The signature event, which was supposed to be held on Jan. 1 between the Detroit Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs, is the latest casualty of the labor dispute that has put the season on hold. Already, 326 games have been canceled through Nov. 30. In its most recent proposal, the NHL offered the players' union a 50-50 split of hockey-related revenues, which exceeded $3 billion last season, but that offer was rejected. The players responded with three offers that were also rejected in turn.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
- Driverless cars may be an environmental disaster
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Watch Zach Galifianakis get annoyed at President Obama on Between Two Ferns
- 4 easy ways to resolve life's toughest questions
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
Subscribe to the Week