ue to ongoing labor disputes, the National Hockey League has canceled its 2013 Winter Classic at Michigan Stadium. The signature event, which was supposed to be held on Jan. 1 between the Detroit Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs, is the latest casualty of the labor dispute that has put the season on hold. Already, 326 games have been canceled through Nov. 30. In its most recent proposal, the NHL offered the players' union a 50-50 split of hockey-related revenues, which exceeded $3 billion last season, but that offer was rejected. The players responded with three offers that were also rejected in turn.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How Ukraine can fend off the Russians, in 7 simple steps
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- There's a number of reasons the grammar of this headline could infuriate you
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
Subscribe to the Week