Yoselyn Ortega, 50, the Manhattan nanny accused of killing two of the children she was caring for on Oct. 25, was charged with first-degree murder on Saturday. Ortega had not been charged sooner because she was unable to speak after having stabbed herself in the throat when she was discovered in the bathroom of the Upper West Side apartment where the two children were found stabbed to death. Ortega spoke with detectives from her hospital bed on Saturday, but police did not give a motive or further information about Ortega's condition.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- 8 secrets to steal from power networkers
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- Game of Thrones is making a huge mistake by cutting Lady Stoneheart
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
- How to make classic pulled pork
Subscribe to the Week