Yoselyn Ortega, 50, the Manhattan nanny accused of killing two of the children she was caring for on Oct. 25, was charged with first-degree murder on Saturday. Ortega had not been charged sooner because she was unable to speak after having stabbed herself in the throat when she was discovered in the bathroom of the Upper West Side apartment where the two children were found stabbed to death. Ortega spoke with detectives from her hospital bed on Saturday, but police did not give a motive or further information about Ortega's condition.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- Why America won't have enough money to battle ISIS
Subscribe to the Week