ew York state Attorney General Eric Schneiderman has launched an investigation into numerous alleged cases of price-gouging after Superstorm Sandy left the East Coast ravaged last week. Schneiderman's office received hundreds of complaints, many of them related to increased gasoline prices. Other complaints reported included possible gouging for emergency supplies like generators, hotels raising rates due to "high demand," as well as increased prices for food and water.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Attack of the invasive species
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How Captain America won over China
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- The week's best photojournalism
- How the elderly are treated around the world
Subscribe to the Week