n Indiana, Rep. Joe Donnelly (D) has narrowly edged out Tea Party-backed state treasurer Richard Mourdock in one of this year's most closely watched Senate races. According to the latest figures, Donnelly has 48.3 percent to Mourdock's 45.7 percent, leading Fox News and Bloomberg News to call the race for Donnelly.
Mourdock, a Tea Party favorite who ousted moderate incumbent Richard Lugar in the primary, was widely seen as the frontrunner — until an Oct. 23 debate in which he was asked a question about whether rape victims should be allowed to get abortions. Mourdock said that "even when life begins in that horrible situation of rape, that is something that God intended to happen." The Republican quickly found himself in the center of a media firestorm, forcing him to backtrack on his comments the next day. "Are you trying to suggest that somehow I think God ordained or pre-ordained rape?" Mourdock asked. "No, I don't think that anyone could suggest that. That's sick, twisted — no, that's not even close to what I said." Prior to the controversy, Mourdock had hammered Donnelly, a Blue Dog Democrat, for his support of ObamaCare, while Donnelly framed his opponent as too conservative to represent Indiana in the Senate.
Here's what the Twittersphere is saying about Donnelly's victory:
Taegan Goddard at Political Wire:
Joe Donnelly wins IN-Sen, a huge upset for Republicans— Taegan Goddard (@politicalwire) November 7, 2012
Luke Russert at NBC News:
Somewhere Richard Lugar is cackling...Donnelly wins in #Indiana— Luke Russert (@LukeRussert) November 7, 2012
Piers Morgan at CNN:
Ezra Klein at The Washington Post:
Donnelly down, Brown down, Mandel down, Romney…not looking good. Have Republicans gotten any good news tonight at all?— Ezra Klein (@ezraklein) November 7, 2012
Mourdock aborted salon.com/2012/11/07/ele…— Salon.com (@Salon) November 7, 2012
- The 10 worst-reviewed movies of 2013
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- The secrets of happy families
- Watch The Daily Show mock the NSA and the gamers they're spying on
- How did Love Actually become so controversial? A theory
- Is the rent really too damn high?
- Antarctica recently experienced the coldest day in recorded history
- Did God have a wife?
- 32 TV shows to watch in 2013 [Updated]
- Godzilla: Watch the surprisingly grim trailer for the blockbuster reboot
Subscribe to the Week