Rep. Chris Murphy (D) beat Republican Linda McMahon, former CEO and co-founder of World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE), in the race for retiring Sen. Joe Lieberman's Connecticut Senate seat, according to projections from the Associated Press and CBS News. In very early returns, Murphy leads McMahon 65 percent to 34 percent.
In a 2010 campaign against Democrat Richard Blumenthal, McMahon sunk tens of millions of her own fortune into a failed bid for a Senate seat in the famously liberal state. This year, the McMahon-Murphy head-to-head has made for one of the more expensive races in recent memory, with McMahon retooling her image to recast herself, per The New York Times, as a "moderate mother and grandmother." According to Talking Points Memo, the McMahon campaign even went so far as to distribute door hangers urging Obama supporters to vote for the Democratic president and the GOP Senate candidate. Murphy, meanwhile, struggled with name recognition and funding, and needed the help (and funding) of the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee to sustain himself against McMahon's onslaught of self-funded ads.
Here's what the Twittersphere is saying about Murphy's victory:
Ben Smith at Buzzfeed:
Lesson of Connecticut —& perhaps Mass.— is perhaps just how hard it is to cling to the rock in the face of national wave in partisan state— Ben Smith (@BuzzFeedBen) November 7, 2012
Karen Tumulty at the Washington Post:
Meg Whitman should have had a heart-to--heart with Linda McMahon about what money can and can't buy in politics.— Karen Tumulty(@ktumulty) November 7, 2012
Maura Johnston says:
Linda McMahon just got [insert your favorite finisher here]d— maura johnston (@maura) November 7, 2012
Alex Wagner at MSNBC:
Chris Murphy takes Linda McMahon's $43 mill and flushes them down the proverbial political potty. #Yowch— Alex Wagner (@alexwagner) November 7, 2012
Linda McMahon spent over $100 million on two losing Senat races. What a metaphorical folding chair to the head. nationalmemo.com/liveblog-elect…— LOLGOP (@LOLGOP) November 7, 2012
And one more for good measure:
It blows my mind that Linda McMahon has nearly $100m to blow on Senate races....and lose. That's a lot of fake wrestling.— Annie Goodman (@annieg917) November 7, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How Ronald Reagan turned America into a nation of children
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- 8 things the world's most extraordinary survivors can teach you about resilience
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The crusade against Iraq War supporters has forgotten someone: Hillary Clinton
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- This week I learned the moon might be littered with dinosaur fossils, and more
- Why scientists can't kill HIV
Subscribe to the Week