In the extremely high-profile Massachusetts Senate contest, Democrat Elizabeth Warren has ousted moderate Republican Sen. Scott Brown. The most recent figures have Warren at 51.8 percent to Brown's 48.2 percent, leading CBS News and NBC News to call the race for Warren.
The epic battle between Brown, a truck-driving former model who — to the surprise of many in 2010 — seized the seat left open by the late Sen. Ted Kennedy, and Warren, a Harvard Law professor who became a champion of the Democrats when she set up the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, was widely considered the "hottest in the country." That seems to have spurred the blue state's voters to turn out in droves. Republicans considered a victory in Massachusetts a critical part of their plan to seize control of the Senate.
Here, first reactions from the Twittersphere:
Sally Kohn at Fox News:
Mark my word:Elizabeth Warren will go on to become one of the greatest senators in American history.— Sally Kohn (@sallykohn) November 7, 2012
Francesca Chambers at Red Alert:
She was the one I didn't want to win the most. RT @byrontau: It's Senator Elizabeth Warren, says NBC.— Francesca Chambers (@fran_chambers) November 7, 2012
Ezra Klein at The Washington Post:
I remember when Elizabeth Warren was just some obscure academic with some interesting ideas on consumer regulation.— Ezra Klein (@ezraklein) November 7, 2012
Glenn Greenwald at the Guardian:
Elizabeth Warren winning isn't going to do much to improve the mood of our conservative friends.— Glenn Greenwald (@ggreenwald) November 7, 2012
Elizabeth Warren, a champion of working people, carried to victory by the strong vote of union households. #WallStreetBeware— AFL-CIO (@AFLCIO) November 7, 2012
Matt O'Brien at The Atlantic:
Good thing Senate Republicans filibustered Warren at the CFPB.— Matt O'Brien (@ObsoleteDogma) November 7, 2012
Daniel Gross at Newsweek/The Daily Beast:
Warren on banking committee will be great theater. Can't wait for her to tear into dimon— Daniel Gross (@grossdm) November 7, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
Subscribe to the Week